Friday, April 6, 2007

Fat Camille Goes to Bed


fat camille goes shopping
Originally uploaded by camille94019.
I just put the FC omnibus to bed. Its out of my hands right now. I feel rather empty. I am not particularly pleased with the outcome. I am starting to really hate the typical 5.5x8.5 zine format (affectionately known as "trashcan comics" in the trade). Its too small. I had to squish and shrink things that didn't want to go any smaller, and because I used weirdly formatted sketchbooks I bought on the fly in Bear Town, some of the pages don't fit correctly at all. Additionally, I couldn't find some of the originals when I discovered I scanned them it at too low a resolution, so a good quarter of the book looks even more lo-fi (but not as badly pixelated as Gary Panter's Jimbo's Inferno).

Its slowly dawning on me that this handmade, low capital format has severe limitations. If I want to keep doing this, I am going to have to start taking it a bit more seriously (which is something El Caballero has been saying for months) or at least convincing someone like a publisher to take it seriously. Its still fuzzy in my mind what exactly wooing a publisher would actually entail. I keep waiting for an angel to come down and give me a Word.

Calculus and the Modern Girl

I took the proofs to the usual place. My favorite xeroxer was there but she was busy, so a new guy helped me out. He was very nice and thoughtful and did some complicated math to make sure I could get as many copies of the book out of the $50 gift certificate that Seaweed Girl gave me.

Me: how many copies do I need to make to get the lower price?

Him: (after a long, thoughtful silence) Vell, ve vould have to do a derivative first...

I couldn't tell if he was joking, but for an instant I could see him in a white lab coat, standing in front of a large blackboard.

No comments: